Saturday, February 14, 2015

The End of Week One And The Beginning of Week Two

Our first official full week in Fiji  has come to an end and our second week begins.

This week has definitely been one full of a lot of learning and project establishing.

So far our projects consist of working with Fiji's Foundation of Education for Needy Children (FENC) through tutoring children in villages. On Monday we meet with the organization to plan out our tutoring sessions for Tuesday and Thursday.  And so far this has been a very fun and rewarding experience. These children love to learn and they are so friendly. I am beginning to understand why teachers want to teach as I tutor these kids I get to see the things I am helping them learn benefit their lives.  I cannot explain how amazing of a feeling that is. To watch and be a part of something that is making a positive difference and impact in the life of another. I absolutely love it.

Our next project that we have started is helping out at the Hilton Special School. This is a school in the capital of Fiji where students with disabilities go. Most of the children here have a physical disability or they are deaf. So far going to this school has been my absolute favorite. We went to the school on Friday for the first time. It was an absolutely amazing experience. We were there to help and teach them but in return I feel like I learned more from them. The children who are deaf worked with kids who weren't deaf to teach us Fijian sign language. The people of Fiji truly are remarkable.
They are so happy and caring.

Towards the end of our time at the school for the day we helped with the physical education class. Here at the school, the P.E. class is dance. This was absolutely one of the funnest experiences! We danced with the kids while the teachers taught. Then the teachers let us lead the dance.

Before the dance class I got to talk with this little girl who was kinda shy but very sweet. When we got to the dance class I noticed she wasn't dancing so I walked over to her and asked her if she wanted to dance. One of the teachers told me she was very shy about dancing. I told them and the little girl that I used to be super super shy. I looked at the girl and told her I would go dance with her. This gave her the confidence she needed. So we went and joined the others. Soon after just a little bit of me dancing with her she soon had the confidence to dance all by herself. I absolutely loved it.  To watch her gain confidence in herself.

I am absolutely loving our projects and the experiences I am sharing here with the local people of Fiji and that I am able to bring you guys along with me through my blog. I cannot wait to have more experiences and share them with you throughout my journey here. I cannot wait to see what next week has in store!

Until next time!

~ Hailey

Below are pictures of us teaching dance at the special School. As well as a picture of the sunset here yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment